PORTRAIT OF THE SECTOR
Traditionally focused on seaside and business, we have been witnessing the development of niche products in recent years. There are four main tourism products, with however a strong predominance of seaside tourism (54% of the offer) and business (33% of the offer) The tourist destination “Senegal” was built around the tourism of business and congré s .
Dakar has positioned itself as the gateway to West Africa for the tourism congress and business, having regard to its privileged geographical position. The capital is well positioned on this niche thanks to its mild climate, its exceptional position and the dynamism of its diplomacy.
The high-capacity tourist areas are Dakar (Business and Seaside Tourism), Thies (Balnea), especially the small coast, Casamance (Ecotourism and Seaside), Tambacounda (Hunting Tourism and Discovery), Fatick (Ecotourism) and St. Louis (Cultural and Seaside Tourism).
It has gradually developed around the major tourist resorts in Senegal, a very important support infrastructure making this sector one of the pillars of the country’s development.
- 300 days of sunshine a year;
- 5 hours flight from the major European transmitter market;
- 500 km of beaches;
- 700 km of coastline;
- Development of new sites underway on the small coast;
- Segment with strong growth in recent years and existence of great opportunities for development;
- Improvement of urban mobility at major highways;
- Important natural assets with coastal , fluvial and terrestrial ecosystems ;
- Wealth of biodiversity ;
- Six (06) national parks
- Four (04) nature reserves ;
- Strong development of niches such as Discovery Tourism and Sport Fishing.
STRATEGIC POSITIONING OF SENEGAL
The tourism sector offers a wide range of opportunities in different sectors and activities including the development of tourist areas, hotels and restaurants, tourist transport, capacity building and services, the organization of conferences and congresses , leisure activities and sports etc.
The new positioning of Senegal’s tourism development is based on a national strategy to increase supply and quality . It is also about sustainability, with the consideration of environmental, biophysical and social issues right from the initial project design phase.
The tourism sector offers a wide range of opportunities in different sectors, including the development of tourist areas, hotels and restaurants, fun activities etc.
The key opportunities that exist are, among others:
- Establishment of 3-6 integrated and targeted tourism developments around clear segments ( seaside , cultural / religious, business, eco-tourism), with a rich product offer, diversified and specific to the segment (s) targeted ;
- Development of the supply of air and city trip in Dakar and its peripheral zone ;
- Redevelopment of Saly with the development of domestic tourism;
- Development of the Niokolo-Koba and development of an offer of eco-tourism / hunting tourism (safari).
- Development of new generation tourist resorts : i. Joal-Finio Ile 800 meters long to arrange with a parcel hotel with a capacity of 250 rooms, commercial space, a garden ecological , etc.ii . Pointe Sarène : 110 ha to develop with five (05) hotels with a total capacity of 1600 rooms, 120 high-end villas, a nautical base, etc.iii . Mbodiène : 504 ha to develop with four (04) hotels , shopping centers, golf courses, amusement park, etc.
- Receptive tourism ( hotels , springs , restaurants)
- Training Institutes
- Cultural and recreational infrastructures